In 2021 Tire Reviews tested eight sets of 200tw track day tires, but sadly due to the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R being discontinued and the replacement RE-71RS not being available in North America at the time, Bridgestone were missing from the test. Many people questioned the omission in the comments, as the RE71R was a much loved tire, and were disappointed to find out it was no longer available.
Fortunately, Bridgestone have answered all our prayers and have just announced they are bringing the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS to North America! Initially it will be available in 38 sizes in the US and Canada, ranging from smaller 15 inch wheels, all the way to 20 inches!
With the RE71R being one of the top performers in the 200tw track day category, Bridgestone have been hard at work to bring an even better product. Fortunately, they seemed to have succeeded, with the RE-71RS having a new improved asymmetric tread design to improve the cornering contact area, and a new compound for better grip and longer tread life.
All this work makes the RE71RS 0.6 seconds a lap faster around the famous Tsukuba Circuit in Japan. More speed = more good.
How the tire feels subjectively is still unknown to Tire Reviews, we hope to get a set in the near future to test, and if you have your own experiences with this exciting new tire, please leave a review.
For now, read on below for the press release with all the details.
Bridgestone Brings Next-Generation Potenza RE-71RS Competitive Track Tire to North America
- Designed for grassroots racing, the new Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS tire delivers improved grip to help drivers unlock faster lap times.
- The innovations incorporated into the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS tire include a new asymmetric tread pattern to increase cornering contact area, low angle grooves to improve wet and dry grip, and a high-grip compound that extends wear life.1
- The new high-performance driver education (HPDE) and competition tire is now available in 38 sizes in the U.S. and Canada.
Bridgestone Americas (Bridgestone) today announced the expansion of the company’s best selling Potenza ultra-high performance tire line with the race-ready Potenza RE-71RS. Designed with track day, autocross and endurance racing drivers in mind, the all-new Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS tire delivers blistering lap times, enhanced steering and grip, and extended wear life.
Featuring the latest in advanced performance tire technology, the new Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS is an average of 0.6 seconds faster per lap around Japan’s world-famous Tsukuba Circuit than the previous generation Potenza RE-71R.2 Bridgestone incorporated a number of key tire engineering innovations including:
- A new high-grip tread compound and pattern optimizations that increase cornering contact area, shortening lap times.
- Low angle grooves and asymmetric tread pattern design to enhance steering and grip.
- A new high-grip compound with an improvement of 5 percent wear, giving drivers more laps out of each set of Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS tires.3
“Our goal with the Potenza RE-71RS tire is to provide a worthy successor to the legendary Potenza RE-71R for drivers who demand the highest levels of grip, consistency and precision,” said Will Robbins, Director of Consumer Product Strategy,
Bridgestone Americas. “The Potenza RE-71RS represents Bridgestone’s ongoing commitment to enabling enthusiast and grassroots motorsport competitors to get the most out of their HPDE, autocross, time trial or endurance race, all while maintaining street-ability for those drives to and from the track.”
The Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS tire is available in 38 sizes from 15 to 20-inch rim diameters in the U.S. and Canadian markets. Fitments include popular grassroots competition vehicles including the Mazda Miata, Subaru BRZ, Ford Mustang, Porsche Cayman and BMW 3-Series. Bridgestone is announcing initial availability in April 2022, with the remaining sizes to be available at all its authorized retailers in the U.S. and Canada in the first half of 2022.
The introduction of the Potenza RE-71RS tire aligns with the Bridgestone E8 Commitment that serves as the axis to drive management while earning the trust of future generations.4 The Bridgestone E8 Commitment consists of 8 Bridgestone-like values starting with the letter “E” (Energy, Ecology, Efficiency, Extension, Economy, Emotion, Ease, and Empowerment) that Bridgestone will commit to creating together with employees, society, partners and customers to realize a sustainable society. By developing tires optimized for performance and competition, Bridgestone is delivering its “Emotion” commitment.
1. Comparison based on the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS tires vs. the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R tires from internal testing. Results may vary depending on proper tire and vehicle maintenance, road conditions, and driving habits.
2. Comparison based on Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS vs. the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R in average lap time on the world-famous Tsukuba Circuit. Results may vary depending on proper tire and vehicle maintenance, road conditions and driving habits.
3. Comparison based on the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS tires vs. the Bridgestone Potenza Re-71R tires from internal testing. Results may vary depending on proper tire and vehicle maintenance, road conditions and driving habits.